Current:Home > MarketsPredictIQ-Prosecutors say New York subway shooting may have been self defense -Quantum Capital Pro
PredictIQ-Prosecutors say New York subway shooting may have been self defense
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 15:43:38
NEW YORK (AP) — A man who shot and PredictIQcritically wounded another passenger on a New York City subway train may have acted in self-defense and will not immediately be charged with any crime, prosecutors said Friday.
“Yesterday’s shooting inside a crowded subway car was shocking and deeply upsetting. The investigation into this tragic incident is ongoing but, at this stage, evidence of self-defense precludes us from filing any criminal charges against the shooter,” said Oren Yaniv, a spokesperson for Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez.
The shooting during Thursday’s rush hour came a week after Gov. Kathy Hochul sent the National Guard into the subway system to help police search people for weapons, citing a need to make people feel safer after a series of headline-making crimes in recent months.
Video taken by a bystander and posted on social media showed a confrontation that began with one passenger berating another and repeatedly threatening to beat him up. The two men squared off and fought before they were separated by another rider.
Then, the belligerent rider who had started the confrontation pulled a gun from his jacket and cocked it. Passengers fled and cowered at the far end of the car, some screaming, “Stop! Stop!” The shooting isn’t seen, but gunshots can be heard as passengers flee from the train as it arrives at a station.
Police said that the 36-year-old man who had pulled the gun lost control of it during the altercation. The other man, 32, got possession and shot him.
The man who was shot was hospitalized in critical condition. Police have not identified either man.
Michael Kemper, the Police Department’s chief of transit, said at a briefing late Thursday that witnesses had reported that the man who was shot was being “aggressive and provocative.”
New York City Mayor Eric Adams, a former transit police officer, said he believes the man who was shot was suffering from “mental health illness.”
“When you look at that video, you’ll see the nexus between someone who appears, from what I saw, to be dealing with severe mental health illness, sparking a dispute on our subway system,” Adams said on radio station 77 WABC.
Adams urged state lawmakers to give New York City more authority to remove mentally ill people from the streets and the subway system involuntarily.
NYPD Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said at a briefing Friday that the man who was shot had entered through an open emergency door without paying the $2.90 subway fare and suggested that the shooting highlights the need to crack down on fare evasion.
“It is important that the NYPD enforces quality of life,” Maddrey said. “It’s important that we enforce that service and people who are not paying the fare, oftentimes we see people enter the subway station looking to cause harm and they never pay the fare.”
Violence in the New York City subway system is rare, but serious incidents such as a passenger’s slashing of a subway conductor in the neck last month, and a shooting on a Bronx subway platform, have attracted attention.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Texas’ migrant arrest law is on hold for now under latest court ruling
- Krystal Anderson’s Husband Shares Heart-Wrenching Message After Past Kansas City Chiefs Cheerleader Dies
- Sean Diddy Combs' LA and Miami homes raided by law enforcement, officials say
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Los Angeles Rams signing cornerback Tre'Davious White, a two-time Pro Bowler
- Tiny, endangered fish hinders California River water conservation plan
- Flaco the owl's necropsy reveals that bird had herpes, exposed to rat poison before death
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Should college essays touch on race? Some feel the affirmative action ruling leaves them no choice
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Facebook pokes making a 2024 comeback: Here's what it means and how to poke your friends
- What we know about the condition of Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge and how this sort of collapse could happen
- A giant ship. A power blackout. A scramble to stop traffic: How Baltimore bridge collapsed
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Police investigate death of girl whose body was found in pipe after swimming at a Texas hotel
- 'Pops love you': Young father of 2 killed during fist fight at Louisiana bar
- Police investigate death of girl whose body was found in pipe after swimming at a Texas hotel
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Princess Kate is getting 'preventive chemotherapy': Everything we know about it
South Carolina has $1.8 billion but doesn’t know where the money came from or where it should go
Debunked: Aldi's bacon is not grown in a lab despite conspiracies on social media
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
If you see this, destroy it: USDA says to 'smash and scrape' these large invasive egg masses
A shake, then 'there was nothing there': Nearby worker details Baltimore bridge collapse
Ahmaud Arbery’s killers ask a US appeals court to overturn their hate crime convictions