Current:Home > MyVenezuela's President Nicolas Maduro clinches nomination for upcoming national election; seeks third term -Quantum Capital Pro
Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro clinches nomination for upcoming national election; seeks third term
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 14:52:06
Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro on Saturday became his party's official nominee for July's highly anticipated presidential election, which would allow him to stroll into a third consecutive term with no real competition on the horizon.
Not unusual to Venezuela, the election has been plagued with controversy since Maduro's main opponent, María Corina Machado — who swept an opposition coalition's primary election with more than 90% of votes — was disqualified by Venezuelan authorities to hold public office for 15 years.
Maduro accepted the nomination as the ruling United Socialist Party's candidate for the July 28 presidential election during a party gathering in Caracas, saying he has "the support of the people." According to the party, its decision was backed by over four million members who chose their candidate last week.
"A man alone would not be here. I am here for the people," Maduro said. "Here, the candidate is not Maduro. Here, the candidate is the people."
Maduro, the hand-picked successor to President Hugo Chávez, rose to power in March 2013 following the death of Chávez, whose homespun charm earned him the affection and votes of millions. Winning another term would leave Maduro at the helm of Venezuela's government until 2031.
Under his rule, Venezuelan has descended into a deep economic crisis, only deepened by American sanctions. The crisis has pushed millions of people to migrate from the South American nation, with many now headed toward the United States.
The American government rolled back some sanctions on Venezuela's oil, gas and mining sectors last year after Maduro agreed with the opposition to work toward electoral conditions that would allow for a leveled playing field.
But the Biden administration ended some of the relief after Venezuela's high court upheld a ban on Machado. It has also threatened to pull back additional relief if the Maduro government continues to defy the agreement.
The deadline for the registration of candidates is March 25, but so far Machado has maintained that she will continue "until the end," although without making clear how she would circumvent the ban on holding office.
In recent day's, the opposition coalition has questioned the electoral process and called for "the law to be respected."
Other opposition figures have also been disqualified, such as Henrique Capriles, a two-time presidential candidate, who declined to participate before the primary election.
Capriles is among a growing number of voices of government opponents and foreign leaders to urge Machado to step aside to allow voters to rally behind an alternative. He urged her to "a sense of realism" this week as Machado has pushed forward.
"They believe this is just one more election, one more electoral fight where they can run us over, or cheat, that we're going to stay quiet and lower our heads. They haven't understood anything," Machado has told supporters at several rallies.
- In:
- Nicolas Maduro
- Venezuela
veryGood! (4)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Consumer Reports: Electric vehicles less reliable, on average, than conventional cars and trucks
- Panthers' David Tepper says decision to draft Bryce Young over C.J. Stroud was 'unanimous'
- Rosalynn Carter set for funeral and burial in the town where she and her husband were born
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Tina Knowles defends Beyoncé against 'racist statements' about 'Renaissance' premiere look
- John Mulaney relates to Matthew Perry's addiction battle: 'I’m thinking about him a lot'
- Bruce Springsteen's drummer Max Weinberg says vintage car restorer stole $125,000 from him
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Blinken seeks a new extension of the Gaza cease-fire as he heads again to the Middle East
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Tina Knowles Addresses Claim Beyoncé Bleached Her Skin for Renaissance Premiere
- Trump embraces the Jan. 6 rioters on the trail. In court, his lawyers hope to distance him from them
- It's peak shopping — and shoplifting — season. Cops are stepping up antitheft tactics
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Corruption case reopened against Argentina’s Vice President Fernández, adding to her legal woes
- Illinois man wins $25K a year for life from lottery ticket after clerk's lucky mistake
- Blinken seeks a new extension of the Gaza cease-fire as he heads again to the Middle East
Recommendation
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
28 White Elephant Gifts for the Win
Who advanced in NBA In-Season Tournament? Nuggets, Warriors, 76ers among teams knocked out
X loses revenue as advertisers halt spending on platform over Elon Musk's posts
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
US agency to end use of ‘cyanide bomb’ to kill coyotes and other predators, citing safety concerns
Italian migration odyssey ‘Io Capitano’ hopes to connect with viewers regardless of politics
Busch Gardens sinkhole spills millions of gallons of wastewater, environmental agency says