Current:Home > MyCourt pauses order limiting Biden administration contact with social media companies -Quantum Capital Pro
Court pauses order limiting Biden administration contact with social media companies
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 16:12:10
NEW ORLEANS — A federal appeals court Friday temporarily paused a lower court's order limiting executive branch officials' communications with social media companies about controversial online posts.
Biden administration lawyers had asked the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans to stay the preliminary injunction issued on July 4 by U.S. District Judge Terry Doughty. Doughty himself had rejected a request to put his order on hold pending appeal.
Friday's brief 5th Circuit order put Doughty's injunction on hold "until further orders of the court." It called for arguments in the case to be scheduled on an expedited basis.
Filed last year, the lawsuit claimed the administration, in effect, censored free speech by discussing possible regulatory action the government could take while pressuring companies to remove what it deemed misinformation. COVID-19 vaccines, legal issues involving President Joe Biden's son Hunter and election fraud allegations were among the topics spotlighted in the lawsuit.
Doughty, nominated to the federal bench by former President Donald Trump, issued an Independence Day order and accompanying reasons that covered more than 160 pages. He said the plaintiffs were likely to win their ongoing lawsuit. His injunction blocked the Department of Health and Human Services, the FBI and multiple other government agencies and administration officials from "encouraging, pressuring, or inducing in any manner the removal, deletion, suppression, or reduction of content containing protected free speech."
Administration lawyers said the order was overly broad and vague, raising questions about what officials can say in conversations with social media companies or in public statements. They said Doughty's order posed a threat of "grave" public harm by chilling executive branch efforts to combat online misinformation.
Doughty rejected the administration's request for a stay on Monday, writing: "Defendants argue that the injunction should be stayed because it might interfere with the Government's ability to continue working with social-media companies to censor Americans' core political speech on the basis of viewpoint. In other words, the Government seeks a stay of the injunction so that it can continue violating the First Amendment."
In its request that the 5th Circuit issue a stay, administration lawyers said there has been no evidence of threats by the administration. "The district court identified no evidence suggesting that a threat accompanied any request for the removal of content. Indeed, the order denying the stay — presumably highlighting the ostensibly strongest evidence — referred to 'a series of public media statements,'" the administration said.
Friday's "administrative stay" was issued without comment by a panel of three 5th Circuit judges: Carl Stewart, nominated to the court by former President Bill Clinton; James Graves, nominated by former President Barack Obama; and Andrew Oldham, nominated by Trump. A different panel drawn from the court, which has 17 active members, will hear arguments on a longer stay.
veryGood! (54)
Related
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Demi Moore and Emma Heming Share Sweet Photos of Bruce Willis With Family in Father’s Day Tribute
- Diddy's key to New York City rescinded after Cassie Ventura assault video
- Dodgers pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto exits start vs. Royals with triceps tightness
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Eight Israeli soldiers killed in southern Gaza, IDF says
- Ron Washington won't let losses deter belief in Angels: 'Ain't no damn failure'
- Biden campaign calls Trump a convicted felon in new ad about former president's legal cases
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- NBA Finals Game 5 Mavericks vs. Celtics: Predictions, betting odds
Ranking
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Stanley Cup Final Game 4 recap, winners, losers as Oilers trounce Panthers, stay alive
- 'We love you, Papa': Princess Kate shoots new Prince William pic for Father's Day
- Bryson DeChambeau wins another U.S. Open with a clutch finish to deny Rory McIlroy
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- 'House of the Dragon' Season 2 premiere: Date, time, cast, where to watch and stream
- A look in photos of the Trooping the Colour parade, where Princess Kate made her first official appearance in months
- How many points did Caitlin Clark score today? Fever star has near triple-double in win
Recommendation
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Caitlin Clark's best WNBA game caps big weekend for women's sports in Indianapolis
Jennifer Aniston Brings Courteney Cox to Tears With Emotional Birthday Tribute
Rep. Mike Turner says Speaker Johnson will assert leadership if any improper behavior by new Intelligence Committee members
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Longtime Southern Baptist leader Paul Pressler, who was accused of sexual abuse, dies at 94
Bee stings are extremely common. Here’s how to identify them.
The biggest since 'Barbie': Pixar's 'Inside Out 2' debuts with huge $155M weekend