Current:Home > Finance2023 UAW strike update: GM agrees to place electric vehicle battery plants under national contract -Quantum Capital Pro
2023 UAW strike update: GM agrees to place electric vehicle battery plants under national contract
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 15:29:14
(CBS DETROIT) - UAW President Shawn Fain made an announcement on Friday, sharing the latest bargaining updates in the union's historic strike against the Big Three automakers.
Fain announced significant progress in negotiations with General Motors and no additional strikes.
Major breakthrough with GM
After threatening to strike a major General Motors plant in Arlington, Texas, Fain said the automaker has agreed to place electric vehicle battery plants under a national contract with the UAW.
"This week, GM did something that was unthinkable until just today," said Fain. "They agreed to put the future of this industry under our national agreement. This victory is a direct result of the power of our membership. It's your willingness to stand up when called. It's your commitment to winning what you are owed. The companies see it. The world sees it. And today, I was ready to call on one of GM's biggest and most important plants to stand up. And it was that threat that brought GM to the table."
Even though the strike at the Arlington plant was avoided, here's what's made at that facility:
- Chevrolet: Tahoe and Suburban
- GMC: Yukon and Yukon XL
- Cadillac: Escalade and Escalade-V
GM issued the following statement after Fain's announcement:
"Negotiations remain ongoing, and we will continue to work towards finding solutions to address outstanding issues. Our goal remains to reach an agreement that rewards our employees and allows GM to be successful into the future."
Negotiation updates
Two of the big three automakers committed to a cost of living adjustment. Ford and Stellantis have agreed, and Fain said General Motors is not far behind.
In addition, Ford has given up a $1.50 tool allowance, Stellantis is at $1.00 and General Motors has not budged.
Fain also said they have made significant progress fighting for pension increases and getting subcommittees addressed.
"We're still fighting hard to win retirement security for both our pre-2007 and post-2007 hires," Fain said.
The UAW president ended his announcement, saying it's back to the bargaining table to win three record contracts.
"We know their pain points, we know their moneymakers, and we know the plants they really don't want to see struck. And they know that we've got more cards left to play," Fain said. "We're not going to let one company fall behind and wait for movement at another table. We're not going to let them sit back and lowball us while others make progress. We expect results at every company. And we've been crystal clear on how you catch a strike and how you avoid one."
Stellantis provides update on recent offer to UAW
"We continue to have good momentum at the bargaining table and have been working diligently with the UAW over the last week to build on that. We are making progress, but there are gaps that still need to be closed. Since the beginning of these negotiations, our focus hasn't wavered – that is, to reach a balanced agreement as soon as possible that establishes the framework that will allow the Company to be competitive and sustainable in a rapidly changing market and brings our workforce along on the journey. We recently made a serious proposal to the UAW that reinforces our previous commitments:
• Provide significant wage increases of 21.4% when compounded through 2027 for all full-time hourly employees
• Implement immediate 10% wage increase for most employees upon contract ratification
• Accelerate time to reach top wage rate for In-Progression employees (4 years, instead of 8 years)
• Raise starting wage rate for Supplemental employees to $20/hour, a 26.7% increase
• Eliminate wage tiers for Mopar employees
• Increase paid holidays to 18 in some years with the addition of Juneteenth
• Provide cost-of-living adjustments calculated every quarter, added to every hour earned and included in weekly paychecks
• Invest billions in the U.S. to provide job security
• Contribute additional $1 billion in retirement funding
• Provide significant improvements to the Company's 401(k) contribution for In-Progression employees
Additionally, the Company and union have discussed various solutions to address job security for all of our employees, including those in Belvidere. Beyond our significant economic offer, we also proposed a number of other enhanced benefits. If accepted, this record proposal would bring our represented employees immediate financial benefits, improve work-life balance and secure jobs through the term of the contract. In fact, by the end of this contract, all of our represented employees would see significant increases to their annual salary. Below is what they could expect:
While we still have some work to do, I remain optimistic that our discussions are providing a pathway to a tentative agreement. It would be one that fairly rewards our workforce while preserving our ability to compete with non-union manufacturers and protects the future of the Company for our employees, our families and our customers. With more than 8,000 of our colleagues on the picket line, some now in their third week, we are committed to continuing this momentum, so we can get everyone back to work building the vehicles that our customers want and that enable their freedom of movement."
- In:
- General Motors
- Ford Motor Company
- United Auto Workers
- Stellantis
veryGood! (283)
Related
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Celebrity Prime Day Picks: Kris Jenner, Tayshia Adams & More Share What's in Their Amazon Cart
- Sandra Hüller’s burdens of proof, in ‘Anatomy of a Fall’ and ‘Zone of Interest’
- Man found dead in the 1980s in Arizona has been identified as California gold seeker
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- San Francisco man, 31, identified as driver who rammed vehicle into Chinese consulate
- Former agent of East Germany’s Stasi agency is charged over the 1974 border killing of a Polish man
- Music festival survivor details escape from Hamas: 'They hunted us for hours'
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- New York Powerball players claim $1 million prizes from drawings this summer
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Bombarded by Israeli airstrikes, conditions in Gaza grow more dire as power goes out
- Who witnessed Tupac Shakur’s 1996 killing in Las Vegas? Here’s what we know
- How Barbara Walters Reacted After Being Confronted Over Alleged Richard Pryor Affair
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Musk’s X has taken down hundreds of Hamas-linked accounts, CEO says
- Actors strike sees no end in sight after studio negotiations go awry
- UN envoy: Colombian president’s commitments to rural reforms and peace efforts highlight first year
Recommendation
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Sandra Hüller’s burdens of proof, in ‘Anatomy of a Fall’ and ‘Zone of Interest’
Nearly 40 years since she barreled into history, America still loves Mary Lou Retton
Music festival survivor details escape from Hamas: 'They hunted us for hours'
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
Palestinian-American family stuck in Gaza despite pleas to US officials
Taylor Swift Embraces a New Romantic Style at Eras Tour Movie Premiere Red Carpet
Taiwan is closely watching the Hamas-Israel war for lessons as it faces intimidation from China