Current:Home > ScamsSafeX Pro Exchange|Judge dismisses murder charges ex-Houston officer had faced over 2019 drug raid -Quantum Capital Pro
SafeX Pro Exchange|Judge dismisses murder charges ex-Houston officer had faced over 2019 drug raid
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 18:59:04
HOUSTON (AP) — A former Houston police officer who led a 2019 deadly drug raid that prompted a probe which revealed systemic corruption problems within the police department’s narcotics unit and SafeX Pro Exchangeresulted in nearly two dozen convictions being overturned has won a legal victory after a judge dismissed two murder charges he had been facing in the case.
Gerald Goines had been set to go to trial in June on two counts of murder in the January 2019 deaths of Dennis Tuttle, 59, and his wife, Rhogena Nicholas, 58. Prosecutors allege Goines had lied to obtain a search warrant by making up a confidential informant and wrongly portraying the couple as dangerous heroin dealers. This led to a deadly encounter in which Tuttle and Nicholas and their dog were fatally shot and police only found small amounts of marijuana and cocaine in the house. Five officers, including Goines, were injured in the raid.
But during a court hearing Tuesday, state District Judge Veronica Nelson dismissed the two indictments for murder that Goines, 59, faced. Goines has maintained his innocence in the case.
The ruling came after Goines’ lawyers argued prosecutors had used the underlying charge of tampering with a government record to indict him for murder. Goines’ lawyers, Nicole DeBorde and George Secrest, said the indictment was faulty because prosecutors had failed to identify which of the six separate subsections within the tampering charge Goines had violated.
The indictments “are fatally flawed and are literally riddled with a host of constitutional and statutory deficiencies which render them fundamentally defective,” Goines attorneys argued in court documents.
The Harris County Attorney’s Office said in a statement it was “shocked and tremendously disappointed” in Nelson’s ruling.
“The office is considering all its options, including amending the indictment, with an eye towards trying this case as soon as possible to ensure justice for the victims of these crimes,” the district attorney’s office said.
The families of Tuttle and Nicholas expressed disappointment, saying that “justice in the … killings remains a far-off prospect.”
“We’re now in a sixth year of a taxpayer-funded coverup of these murders. The Nicholas family still will not give up its ongoing fight to reveal the truth of what happened,” Mike Doyle, an attorney representing Nicholas’ family said in a statement.
Family and friends of Tuttle and Nicholas have maintained the married couple of 20 years were not criminals but animal lovers who lived quiet, simple lives when they were killed.
Federal civil rights lawsuits the families of Tuttle and Nicholas have filed against Goines and 12 other officers involved in the raid and the city of Houston are set to be tried in September.
A dozen officers, including Goines, tied to the narcotics squad that carried out the raid were later indicted following a corruption probe. Those charges are related to an alleged overtime scheme, allegations of falsifying documentation about drug payments to confidential informants or for allegedly lying on police reports. Nine of the officers were set for trial on these charges in September.
The deadly drug raid prompted Houston police to stop using “no-knock” warrants, which allow officers to enter a home without announcing themselves.
Since the raid, prosecutors have been reviewing thousands of cases handled by the narcotics unit.
The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals has overturned 22 convictions linked to Goines, with the most recent dismissal announced on Wednesday. In that case from 2014, Michael Gastile said he was innocent of selling Goines $20 worth of crack cocaine.
“If I had known that Goines was making up charges against other people during the same time he was lying about me, I would not have pleaded guilty,” Gastile said in court documents filed in December. “This conviction has had negative consequences in my life … I also suffer from PTSD and schizophrenia because of the mental aspect of spending time in prison for something I did not do.”
One of the other cases tied to Goines that remains under scrutiny is his 2004 drug arrest in Houston of George Floyd, whose 2020 death at the hands of a Minnesota police officer sparked a nationwide reckoning on racism in policing. A Texas board in 2022 declined a request that Floyd be granted a posthumous pardon for his drug conviction following his arrest by Goines.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (527)
Related
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Zac Brown and Kelly Yazdi Announce Breakup 4 Months After Marriage
- Airstrikes hit camps in central Gaza as Biden administration approves new weapons sales to Israel
- More than 100 anglers rescued from an ice chunk that broke free on a Minnesota river
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Browns receiver Elijah Moore back home after being hospitalized overnight with concussion
- Maine secretary of state who opted to keep Trump off primary ballot is facing threat of impeachment
- Buy the Gifts You Really Wanted With 87% Off Deals on Peter Thomas Roth, Tarte, Peace Out & More
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- 11 books to look forward to in 2024
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Mexican president inaugurates centralized ‘super pharmacy’ to supply medicines to all of Mexico
- Red Wings' 5-8 Alex DeBrincat drops Predators 6-1 defenseman Roman Josi in quick fight
- Kathy Griffin files for divorce ahead of her fourth wedding anniversary
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- See the massive rogue wave that crashed into Ventura, California, sending 8 people to the hospital
- Former fast-food building linked to 1978 unsolved slayings in Indiana to be demolished
- Man charged after 2 killed in police chase crash
Recommendation
Small twin
A look at Russian missile attacks on Ukrainian targets since the war began in February 2022
New York governor vetoes change to wrongful death statute, nixing damages for emotional suffering
BlendJet recalls nearly 5 million blenders after reports of property damage, injuries
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Skateboarder Jagger Eaton Shares the Golden Moment With Kobe Bryant That Changed His Life
Vehicle crashes on NJ parkway; the driver dies in a shootout with police while 1 officer is wounded
After Mel Tucker firing at Michigan State, investigation unable to find source of leaks