Current:Home > NewsSurpassing:Jurors in Sen. Bob Menendez's bribery trial begin deliberations -Quantum Capital Pro
Surpassing:Jurors in Sen. Bob Menendez's bribery trial begin deliberations
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 00:41:16
Washington — The Surpassingfate of Sen. Bob Menendez now lies in the hands of twelve jurors, who began deliberations Friday afternoon in the New Jersey Democrat's bribery trial.
The trial, initially expected to last six weeks, will stretch into its tenth week, as jurors left Friday evening without a verdict. They will return Monday.
Menendez, who has pleaded not guilty, is charged with 16 felony counts, including obstruction of justice, acting as a foreign agent, bribery, extortion and honest services wire fraud. He is accused of using his political influence to benefit two foreign governments, while helping three New Jersey businessmen in return for bribes that included stacks of cash, gold bars, mortgage payments and a Mercedes-Benz convertible.
Since mid-May, prosecutors have detailed a wide-ranging corruption scheme in which Menendez allegedly used his influence as the then-chairman of the powerful Senate Foreign Relations Committee to secretly benefit Egypt and pressure a Department of Agriculture official to protect a halal certification monopoly Egypt granted to businessman Wael Hana, who was paying the senator's wife, Nadine Menendez.
The senator also allegedly tried to quash state and federal criminal cases related to former insurance broker Jose Uribe and real estate developer Fred Daibes. Menendez was helping Daibes land a lucrative investment deal with Qatar at the same time, according to prosecutors.
Prosecutors say Menendez and his wife tried to obstruct the investigation after they were initially charged by characterizing some of the alleged bribe payments as loans, which "caused" their former lawyers to make false statements to prosecutors.
A judge postponed Nadine Menendez's trial until August because she's recovering from breast cancer surgery. She has pleaded not guilty.
Hana and Daibes, who have also pleaded not guilty, are on trial with the senator.
Uribe pleaded guilty earlier this year and testified in this trial that he asked Menendez directly for his help, months after he said he handed Nadine Menendez $15,000 in cash in a restaurant parking lot for a downpayment on a $60,000 Mercedes. Uribe made her car payments until June 2022 —the same month the FBI searched the Menendezes' home and found over $480,000 in cash and gold bars worth more than $100,000.
Envelopes containing Daibes' fingerprints or DNA that were seized from Menendez's home had $82,500, Megan Rafferty, a forensic accountant at the FBI, testified earlier this month. Nearly the same amount of cash that was put into circulation in February 2018 or later was found in envelopes in Menendez's basement or his home office, she said.
From 2018 to mid-2022 —the timeframe of the alleged scheme— Menendez withdrew about $55,000 in cash from his account at the Senate Federal Credit Union, according to Rafferty, who said the average withdrawal was about $400. There were no bank or credit card records showing withdrawals of $10,000 — the amount of cash found within a number of envelopes in the home.
Russell Richardson, a forensic accountant who analyzed Menendez's cash withdrawals on behalf of the defense, testified that the senator took out about $400 twice a month between 2008 and 2022. Those withdrawals totaled more than $150,000, he said.
After he was indicted, Menendez explained the cash stockpile as a years-long habit that stemmed from his family's experience in Cuba, before he was born. His older sister testified in his defense that their parents regularly hid cash at home, saying it was "a Cuban thing."
Prosecutors linked the gold bars to Daibes and Hana through serial numbers. The gold, according to Menendez's lawyers, was inherited from Nadine Menendez's family.
"This is a big case, but it all boils down to a classic case of corruption on a massive scale," prosecutor Paul Monteleoni said this week during closing arguments.
The senator chose not to testify in his own defense. His lawyers have asserted the government is prosecuting routine legislative activity. They also have tried to pin the blame on Nadine Menendez, saying she had financial troubles that she did not disclose to her husband.
"There is no text, there is no email, there is no recording, there is no voicemail, there is no photo, that ever shows Senator Menendez taking a bribe in exchange for doing something. There is none," his lawyer Adam Fee said this week, saying the government's case is based on "painfully thin" evidence.
Fee asked jurors to "resist the temptation to pick the salacious story about a corrupt politician, because it's not there."
Prosecutors pushed back on the defense's assertion that the couple lived separate lives, showing jurors text messages of the couple sharing mundane details about their day with each other and the senator checking in on his wife's location. They said Menendez was careful while committing the alleged crimes.
"When a sophisticated, careful person like Menendez commits a crime, he doesn't say the quiet part out loud," Monteleoni said. "He doesn't negotiate the bribe payment himself. He has Nadine do that for him. He insulates himself."
Ash Kalmar contributed reporting.
- In:
- Bob Menendez
- New Jersey
- Bribery
- Trial
Caitlin Yilek is a politics reporter at CBSNews.com, based in Washington, D.C. She previously worked for the Washington Examiner and The Hill, and was a member of the 2022 Paul Miller Washington Reporting Fellowship with the National Press Foundation.
TwitterveryGood! (3138)
Related
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Ski town struggles to fill 6-figure job because candidates can't afford housing
- Jadeveon Clowney joins Carolina Panthers in homecoming move
- 'Why wouldn't we?' Caitlin Clark offered $5 million by Ice Cube's BIG 3 league
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- South Korean Rapper Youngji Lee Wants You To Break Molds With Coach Outlet’s Latest Colorful Drop
- Baltimore bridge collapse: Ships carrying cars and heavy equipment need to find a new harbor
- Former correctional officer at women’s prison in California sentenced for sexually abusing inmates
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Why Jennifer Garner's Vital—Not Viral—Beauty Tips Are Guaranteed to Influence You
Ranking
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- MyPillow, owned by election denier Mike Lindell, faces eviction from Minnesota warehouse
- Julia Fox's Latest Look Proves She's Redefining How to Wear Winged Eyeliner Again
- Beyoncé 'Cowboy Carter' tracklist hints at Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson collaborations
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- South Korean Rapper Youngji Lee Wants You To Break Molds With Coach Outlet’s Latest Colorful Drop
- Baltimore bridge press conference livestream: Watch NTSB give updates on collapse
- Smoking pit oven leads to discovery of bones, skin and burnt human flesh, relatives of missing Mexicans say
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Trader Joe’s upped the price of its bananas for the first time in decades. Here’s why
Judge dismisses murder charges ex-Houston officer had faced over 2019 drug raid
Alcohol permit lifted at Indy bar where shooting killed 1 and wounded 5, including police officer
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Aubrey O’ Day Weighs In on Sean “Diddy” Combs’ Homes Being Raided by Homeland Security
Hawaii says 30 Lahaina fire survivors are moving into housing daily but 3,000 are still in hotels
The Latest | Ship was undergoing engine maintenance before it crashed into bridge, Coast Guard says